Thursday, August 10, 2006

George G. Vest once said "The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog. . . He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer; he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world. . . .When all other friends desert, he remains."
My dog Max has been sick for a couple of days now, and under the instructions of the vet, we didn't feed him for 24 hours. He could have all the water he wanted, but no food, no treats. Although Max is without fail very subtle in telling me what he wants - when he wants to go outside, when he's hungry, when he's ready to leave the park - I've gotten used to his signals. It tore me up inside for him to want something to eat and not be able to give him anything. He just had dinner though - something the vet gave us for him.
I worry too much about him sometimes. One time I even took him to the afterhours vet clinic because he was acting like there was something wrong and his nose wasn't cold & wet. Needless to say, there was nothing wrong with him. I'd be a neurotic mother - guess it's a good thing I don't plan to have kids.

No comments: