Thursday, June 15, 2006

This afternoon, my boyfriend & I took our dog to the local dog park. After a while of playing with some of the neighborhood dogs, Flash arrived. To provide a bit of background, Flash is a basset hound "owned" by a man named Russell. In all honesty, it often seems like Russell is owned by Flash. I don't know if Flash is representative of his breed, but if so, apparently bassets are mean little devils. Now, the first time Max & Flash met, it was just before we had Max neutered and they didn't much care for each other but Russell assured us it was only because Max was un-neutered - Flash isn't neutered and only had a problem with other un-neutered dogs. Turns out he was wrong. Max had his surgery months ago and they still don't like each other and have actually gotten into a scuffle in the past.
Fortunately, both (human) parties involved had handled the situation maturely - if one of the dogs was inside the fence and the other arrived, they simply went elsewhere. Oftentimes, if we'd been there for a while, we would leave and let there other dog owner know we were leaving so they could come in, and Russell did the same. There were even a few times when both dogs were there and the second to arrive would just keep the dog on leash until the other left.
Today, however, was a different story. As my mother would say, Russell got something in his craw and without the usual pleasantries brought Flash in, at first off leash then putting him back on and walking him around the perimeter before settling down on the other side of the park.
After a while, Max followed Stitch (who he was playing with) close to them and a fight ensued.
Although I by no means claim to be an expert on canine behavior, I feel I've researched the subject enough to have a decent grasp of the subject and realize that dogs will be dogs. I also believe that we as humans have a moral and legal obligation to rise above our primitive roots and behave in a civilized manner. Before Max had gotten anywhere near Flash, I'd left my seat and started across the field to retrieve Max, so I was closer than Jakob when the fight started, but when he heard the commotion, he quickly followed.
Once I was able to see around the shrub blocking my view of Russell and Flash, I saw something that made my blood boil. That ignorant violent excuse for a human being was assaulting my dog. I'm sure some people believe my statement to be over-dramatic until they heard it was not his hand he was using to beat him or even his fist. It was a f*(king billy club.
When Russell came into the park, he wasn't carrying anything other than the leash but as he walked Flash around the fence line, Jakob had noticed he had the leash in one hand and a billy club in the other and we'd even joked with some of the other dog owners, speculating why anyone would walk their dog with a billy club and coming to the conclusion that if our dogs were as ill-mannered and badly behaved as that one, maybe a billy club wasn't such a far fetched idea. I honestly do not believe anyone there does or would ever hit their pets and although I admit Max does sometimes test my patience, neither Jakob nor I have ever raised a hand to him. At the sight of that arrogant @$$hole swinging a weapon like a professional baseball player and striking my precious pet across the back and rear legs, my blood boiled. I have been that angry very few times in my life, and it's a good thing.
Because I was closer to the altercation, I reached Max first, and the owner of three retired greyhounds who was near Russell from the beginning of it all had in the meantime grabbed Max and gotten him away from the fracas. (He seemed to think Max was the problem and told me to "get that dog out of there" but regardless, I am thankful he removed him from the blows of Russell's weapon. So I was checking Max out and out of the corner of my eye I see Jakob running over and I just knew that if I didn't stop him, at the speed he was going, he could have tackled Russell, thrown the club over the fence and probably beaten him senseless in a matter of seconds. Not that he didn't deserve it, but I didn't want to see Jakob go to jail.
Before I had a dog, I couldn't have understood his anger at this man, but now it's entirely logical. That precious creature is like our child. No matter how angry we get with one another, all it takes is that worried look in those big puppy eyes for it to be over. Max is the only one in my life who, no matter what, always looks at me with unconditional love. He never gets angry because I didn't wash the dishes or hurts my feelings because he needs a night out away from me. He's always so happy to see me when I get home and greets me at the door. He doesn't whine or beg for candy at the store or throws a temper tantrum at the grocery. He acts like I'm the most generous person in the world just for fixing his dinner. Our relationship is uncomplicated and I adore him as much as he adores me.
Honestly, Russell is lucky Jakob got to him before I did. All Jakob did was knock his beer out of his hand. I would have done much worse and there's not a person on the face of the earth who could have stopped me. My father could have, but he died nine years ago. I mean, really? What kind of person hits a dog? I think people should be locked up for beating dogs.

No comments: